The release of the final block of tickets for the Papal Mass (Tuesday, July 26) will now take place on Friday, July 22, 2022 at 10:30 a.m. MT. Tickets were originally scheduled to be released on July 18.
Why the Change?
We continue to prioritize Indigenous participation at events throughout the Papal Visit. In conversations over the last number of days, many Indigenous partners have requested additional time to secure their reservations. In addition, recent federal funding announcements may allow new groups with a strong desire to participate in the visit of Pope Francis, an opportunity to mobilize.
The delay in releasing the final block of tickets will provide an additional window for Indigenous participation while also ensuring that all available inventory, including any seats not reserved by Indigenous or group partners, will be offered to the public on Friday, July 22, 2022.
For other papal events in Alberta, tickets have been made available to residential/day school survivors, Elders, Knowledge Keepers and those supporting them through National Indigenous Organizations, Catholic dioceses traveling with survivors and other partners. If you are a residential or day school survivor and do not have contact with an Indigenous partner, please refer to www.papalvisit.ca/tickets-access.
On July 11, a limited block of general admission spaces outdoors for the Papal Mass at Ste. Anne de Beaupre were made available and quickly reserved. Seating inside the Basilica is limited to 1,400 and is 70% reserved for Indigenous participants, including many survivors of residential schools and those supporting them. The remaining 30% of seats will be comprised of delegations from Eastern Canadian dioceses (which also include many Indigenous participants) as well as a limited number of representatives from various levels of government. The distribution of these seats is being co-ordinated with the relevant organizations.
Experience the Papal Visit on the Plains of Abraham on July 27 and 28
For those who wish to experience the visit of Pope Francis on the Plains of Abraham, his arrival in Quebec City, the Holy Father’s speech at the Citadel (July 27) and Mass at the Shrine of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré (July 28) will be broadcast on giant screens on the Plains. Cultural activities will be offered around each event.
This site is open, everyone is welcome, no ticket is required. Those who plan to participate are invited to inform the organizers by registering at www.papalvisit.ca/plains. This will allow registrants to receive any relevant updates by e-mail. Online registration will continue until the arrival of the Holy Father in Québec.
The public event taking place in Iqaluit (July 29) planned by Inuit is open to all and will not be ticketed. All are welcome to attend the public gathering in the square outside Nakasuk Elementary School.
Details on how to access all the sites of the Papal Visit can be found at http://www.papalvisit.ca/tickets-access
Reminder: Don’t pay for tickets – they’re free!
Online resale sites are already offering tickets to the Papal Mass at Commonwealth Stadium. It is sad and disturbing that anyone is trying to resell free tickets to an event with Pope Francis as part of his pilgrimage of healing, reconciliation and hope. It is strongly recommended that you avoid any resale sites as the tickets may not be legitimate.